An joyous and emotional Christmas - Week 40-43: : Holms on the Potomac


Sister Cluff, Norm, and Sister Workman making fancy parfaits for the Christmas devotional / zone conference meal.

The office gets slammed with packages for missionaries at Christmas, and office missionaries also make sure that all missionaries get gifts.  Young missionaries deliver mail from the mission office to companionships. Sisters Obray, Morris, Bice, Connell and Shaw.


We love the technology that brought us the Christmas gift of seeing our children and grandchildren—especially our two missionaries, one in Pedro Juan Caballero, Paraguay (Elder Roetto, blue hat) and one in Sacramento, California (Elder Murdock, red tie.) 

WE’RE TWELVE! This is us with our neighbor Gina, who reminds us often that she’s twelve. Guess what? We are too! We loved seeing the Festival of Lights with her. At home, our frozen pond made us kids again. When Norman threw heavy rocks and branches onto the ice, it didn't break.

Christmas is a time to remember our loving Savior Jesus Christ, and to give thanks for his humble birth, His loving miracles and  His sacrificial life. We celebrated by attending the Festival of Lights at the Visitors Center of the Washington D.C. Temple. Thousands of lights strung on hundreds of trees reminded us that He is the Light of the World; the Giving Machine and its attendants reminded us to share with our fellow citizens; and Crèches from 55 countries reminded us that we all kneel by the manger, awed by a “wondrous little stranger.” 

Serving at the Visitors Center during December, I saw thousands of people (they had 5,000 the day and evening I was there) enjoy the spiritual side of Christmas. A little girl told me her favorite part was “When God was born.” That was mine, too. (I did some service at the VC while Norm recuperated from Covid 19.) 

We had a Christmas Eve party (on the eve of Christmas Eve) at our apartment. Soup, bread, the Nativity story and games...just like at home... only with two young sister missionaries and four senior couples. Sister Liberty Vincent holds the camera, and Elder and Sister Gardner, Sister Annie Ray, Sister and Elder Workman, Sister and Elder Connell, and us.

Early in December, Norm came down with his first-ever case of Covid. Thanks to the new anti-viral drug Paxlovid, he weathered it well and only lost a day of office work, though he took it easy afterward.

“Fear Not!” the angel told the shepherds, and it rings in my ears. This year I’ve realized like never before that the Christmas season is a big trigger for my anxiety. I’ve learned it is possible to feel a plethora of emotions simultaneously: that I’m overwhelmed; that I’m inadequate for most of the tasks I need to do; that I’m spiritually barren; that I’m worshipful and filled with His light; that I’m deeply happy yet chaotically homesick. I coordinated two Christmas Devotional meals for 100+ missionaries and drove the 495 Freeway at night without functioning GPS, and later, during rush hour. I’m not bragging: these tasks terrified me. The Lord, Elder Holm and 40 senior missionaries made the meals successful, and the Lord at my side calmed me and helped me drive safely.  

So, fear not, Sister Holm, for “Unto you is born a Savior. . .which is Christ the Lord.” He was born into a messy world, with all its conflicting emotions, and He managed to save it. He will save you, too. 

We wish you a Happy New Year! 2023 promises many “good things to come.” 

Our Elder Prince Tua'kalau is in the center of these Tongan dancers who performed at the Visitors Center, which hosted concerts and performances every day during the holidays. It is a marvelous, free venue and a great gathering place. We were only able to attend two, but we were glad to do so!







 

Comments