Guess what? “This is exactly what I signed up for!” Week Five: Holms on the Potomac

You may ask, how are Norm and Debbie spreading the message that Jesus Christ has redeemed us all from both sin and death during this Easter season? Besides trying to be Christians ourselves, we’re assisting approximately 170 young and 25 senior missionaries.

Norm will soon manage the 80-100 cars that young missionaries drive, and I’ll help, along with doing other office duties. While being trained, I was a happy camper until learning that I'm expected to drive some cars to shops for oil changes and repairs. 

I drive fine in Idaho, on small Interstate 80 and local roads.  But here? With numerous freeways and never-ending vehicles? Terrified, I protested: "I didn’t sign up to drive in this traffic!!"

After a couple of days of worry, another missionary told me a thought shared by our “Mission Mom,” Sister Shelly Neilson. During Covid quarantine, everyone in this mission faced huge, years-long, emotional and logistical challenges. Shelly and her husband went from managing 150 missionaries to 250, because many who were assigned to foreign fields were re-assigned stateside.

During that time, she taught: “I keep hearing: ‘This isn’t what I signed up for!’  You missionaries, our five young children and ourselves -- we all feel that way. Guess what: this is exactly what you signed up for—when you signed up for mortal life, you signed up for experiences to stretch you, try you and help you learn a little of what Christ endured."  

She made stickers for the missionaries’ water bottles that say: “This is exactly what I signed up for!”  They live up to that motto, serving with Christlike dedication in whatever they are asked to do. 

Before I wimped out on driving, I had a dream: people were paddling in canoes and kayaks near a waterfall on the Columbia River. A man told me to paddle hard to avoid going over the falls. He acted matter of  fact, like I could do it.  I thought, “I can’t paddle hard enough, my muscles are too weak.  I just won’t get in the boat!” 

Maybe the dream referred to driving in Maryland—the Lord wants me to paddle and He has a plan to help.  Our kids and grandkids prayed for me, and I'm taking baby steps and baby drives--I drove a car to an oil change today. 

With the Lord's help, I say: "These drives are exactly what I signed up for." 

If you're up against something difficult, give Him a try. You might be surprised at what you signed up for--that He will help with. 

Watching our church's General Conference in our apartment.
Watching our church's General Conference in our apartment, planning to eat a traditional breakfast cake in celebration.

We love the cherry blossoms! The wind is wild, though, and the petals blow like snow.  One car was even more "polka dotted" than this one--but of course I couldn't get a photo.

We met Sister Moctezuma at the MTC and now we are both "green"missionaries! I helped serve lunch at three zone conferences where missionaries gather for motivation.

While young missionaries get motivated, Norm and other senior missionaries check their cars for cleanliness and maintenance, and top off their fluids.  



 

 


 

 

Comments